Sunday, September 20, 2015

Ferrari 365GTB4 Competizione Work In Progress #1

Hi all,

Just quickly post the WIP on 365GTB4 Competizione. And After this, I'll post completed photos.

This was the one I started. Studio 27, Ferrari 365GTB4 Competizione. This car was the one from Le Mans 24 hours race in 1973 (North American Racing Team; NART). Unfortunately the result was DNF, still this color design was the best looking to me.
And this was my first trial for Resin/ Multimedia kit.

These are the photos of the real one.


Good old days... these types of the cars sometimes came in to top10 (overall) at Le Mans race!! 

The first thing I did was the same as always, the height check. This looked cool but rear was too low compared with the real one.

So needed this engraving on the rear to set the shaft. The resin was easier to do these works, I reckon.

Well, it's better now.

This was one of the hardest part, but don't worry, applying putty or CA glue and after sand, somehow it came with smooth surface.

The biggest difference from injection plastic kit was rougher surface of the body. So I took time for spraying surfacer (#1000) and sanding (#800 paper) 3-4 times.

My biggest concern was how the paint goes on the resin. As you know resin's surface never melt by applying lacquer paint, so the paint would come off easier than when applied on plastic. But washing the resin with neutral detergent and rinsing, drying, then spraying this primer didn't make any problems. My fear on resin body was disappeared.

I selected GSI Creos GX4 Chiara Yellow this time. (After base white was applied)

Masked, and Gaia Notes Premium Red was airbrushed. I chose this color for my experience. I guess the red on real one was a bit darker, but I wanted to give it a try.

The mask line was on the decal's white & green line.

Then GSI Creos Super Clear Ⅲ was airbrushed to make smooth surface for decaling.
 
 Well, using steamed cloth, tips with hot water and decal softer,  it took about 5-6 hours to finish these decals. This was the first time for me to make a racer with lots of decals as well!! 2 big challenges at once!

And I needed to manage these silvering; the air contained in the clear part of the decals causes these problems.

So I used this combination; the mixture of Tamiya Mark Fit and Micro Scale's Micro tape. The Microtape (white when wet) disappeared when it dried. Small pinholes on decal was made using needle and the mixture was applied from the surface and the side of the decals to fulfill the air pockets.

And this was the result. Yet more to do, but so far so good!!

The stripe decal was short; only up to the front air intake. So I just add enamel paint (red, yellow and green) on the lower part. I would apply the clear coat (lacquer) gently so it'd be just fine even if these were enamel paints.

Then GSI Creos Super Clear Ⅲ was airbrushed from distance, to gently cover the decals to avoid  cracks. I did 2-3 more layers in the same way to secure the decals.


Then thicker clear coat was applied. The quality of decals were just fine! I couldn't find any clacks:)) ... Or maybe I was gentle enough.

Sand (#1500 paper) - clear coat - sand (#1500 paper again), and do the same thing again and again (3-4 times) to make smooth surface (especially taking care of the gap between decals and the body).


....Well, it's becoming too long now, so I'll post the about the interior and wheels for the next one.

Thanks for coming today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment